Discover the best soup for sickness and to speed your recovery. Our immunity boosting herbal soup is not only tasty, it is also packed with nutritional goodness needed to get you back on your feet!
We have probably all, at some stage in our life, been told that we should eat plenty of soups or broth when ill. Many of us may have dismissed this advise! Perhaps thinking it was some outdated remedy passed along from the older generation.
And I suppose that is correct. As we know, many of the hand-me-down remedies and recipes are the best! But for those who like a little evidence with their lunch, there have been studies conducted on the health benefits of soups and their ingredients!
Research Supports Our Immunity Boosting Herbal Soup!
Possibly the most well known of these studies was published in 2000, by Dr. Stephen Rennard of the University of Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.
In this study he conducted laboratory tests to determine if chicken broth was able to help colds.
The research studied blood samples taken from volunteers and results were remarkable. They showed that the soup inhibited movement of our most common type of white blood cells, the neutrophils. These neutrophils defend our body against infection.
Dr. Rennard’s theory is that when migration of the neutrophils is inhibited, it mitigates inflammation which helps in reducing the symptoms of cold in our upper respiratory system.
Research was unable to determine the exact ingredient, or ingredients, in the broth that made it effective, however theorizes that it is likely to be a combination of chicken and vegetables.
Of note are 2 other research articles which support Dr Rennard’s theory that the best soup for sickness is one that combines both chicken and a range of vegetables.
In 1998, Dr Murray Grossan published and article named Coping With Allergies and Asthma which showed chicken broth helped to improve the function of cilia.
These cilia are tiny structures which resemble hair. They line the mucous membrane in our nose and help prevent foreign particles and contagions entering our system.
Another older study, published in 1978, by researchers from Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami studied the air flow and movement of nasal mucus deposits of 15 volunteers.
The volunteers air flow and mucus movement was measured after they were given cold water, hot water or chicken soup to drink.
Overall, it was the hot fluids that helped improve air flow and aid in clearing nasal mucus. The soup proved to be more effective than hot water.
The Best Soup For Sickness And To Speed Recovery!
So here it is! The Ultimate Recipe for Boosting Immunity and Speeding Recovery!
Set aside some quality time before you start. Like all good things this recipe takes time to prepare and then some more as it simmers. Trust me, the taste, the goodness and the health benefits provided will be well worth the wait!
Immunity Boosting Herbal Soup
This savory vegetable soup is a traditional and proven way of incorporating astragalus, garlic and medicinal mushrooms into your diet and boosting immunity and health!
- 1 ounce dried astragalus root slices
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger root, slivered
- 1⁄4 cup brown basmati rice
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups Homemade (Store Bought if quality) Chicken Broth
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup winter squash, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake or maitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons light miso, or to taste
- 8 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Step 1 Simmer astragalus, ginger, rice, vege stock and chicken broth in a heavy, covered, saucepan for 1 hour.
- Step 2 Sauté onion, squash and mushrooms in olive oil for 5 minutes, or until vegetables soften.
- Step 3 Add sautéed vegetable mixture to the soup.
- Step 4 Cover and gently simmer for a further 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Add the corn
- Step 6 Simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Step 7 Carefully uncover, and using tongs, remove the astragalus.
- Step 8 Dilute the miso in a small amount of the hot broth and then add back into the soup.
- Step 9 For those who prefer a lighter soup add additional vege stock or chicken broth.
- Step 10 You can also add more miso to taste.
- Step 11 Finally add the garlic and parsley.
- Step 12 Stir well and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Step 13 Serve and enjoy!
Try it out today! The best soup for sickness – Our Ultimate Immunity Boosting Herbal Soup! And remember, this is delicious even when completely well! A perfect meal on a cold winter’s day.
I’d love to hear your feedback if you do try this recipe.