Acne is not something you need to suffer. You can have the skin you want, and deserve, with these easy and effective techniques. They are the best home remedies for acne. All you need do is grab a cuppa, settle comfortably and take the time to read this guide.
An Overview Of Acne Issues:
Our skin is a reflection of our internal health. Glowing, beautiful skin shows proper care, hydration and a healthy diet. Skin ridden with whiteheads, blackheads and other pimples indicates oxidative damage, poor nutrition and hormonal imbalances. So lets look at restoration …
Occasional breakouts and chronic acne plagues tens of millions of people of all ages every year. From mild to severe, cases of acne cause painful and unsightly outbreaks on the face, back, chest and even arms. Left untreated, acne can lead to diminished self-esteem and scarring.
Identify The Cause of Acne (To Find Your Personal Acne Answers!)
To treat acne we need to identify the cause! Simple!
Spend time reading the following and identify the potential causes which could be responsible. This will help when we look at the recommended home remedies for acne.
Make a note of any of the following which relate to you:
The National Center for Biotechnology Information has an excellent research paper examining whether sleep deprivation, stress and other aspects of modern life are linked to adult female acne.
This is important because acne is widely known to strike during the teen years. The reality is that acne is now affecting millions of adults. Most of these women state they have never had any issue with acne previously.
Make The Connection – Find The Cure
Acne in adult women is linked to:
- hormonal imbalance during the menstrual cycle,
- entering menopause,
- increased stress levels,
- prolonged lack of sleep,
- poor diet.
It is estimated that 70–90 percent of young adults, of both genders, suffer from acne.
Acne in young adult women and men is linked to:
- adolescence (changing hormone levels),
- friction from sports equipment and backpacks
- poor hygiene
Why Home Remedies For Acne Are Preferable
Simply put over the counter and prescription acne medicines often make the issue worse!
They cause further irritation and can intensity the problem.
Top 10 Home Remedies for Acne – Try Them Today
1. Acne Busting Honey Face Bath
To rid yourself of those annoyingly stubborn pimples, blackheads and whiteheads this solution is awesome. Easy to make and extremely effective.
To start give your face a thorough and gentle wash in warm (not hot) water. Dry your skin with a face cloth. This removes impurities and dry skin cells.
Follow this by using the Acne Busting Honey Face Bath (recipe follows)
After the wash and dry again dampen your skin with warm water. Now massage the honey mixture into your face and neck.
Once massaged into the skin use warm water and rinse well. Gently pat your skin dry.
As standard you should apply the face wash in the morning and evening. It is also advised to do this after any prolonged exercise.
Acne Busting Honey Face Bath
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 20 Drops Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 2 Capsules Of Live Probiotics
- Step 1 1. Place all ingredients into a bowl or hand blender.
- Step 2 2. Blend until fully mixed and combined.
- Step 3 3. Pour into storage container and keep in a cool dry location.
2. Natural Toning = No Acne!
Toning is a hugely important part of skin care. By regularly toning your skin you help remove the residues left behind after cleansing. It also helps restore your skin’s natural pH levels.
One of the best home remedies for acne is a simple toner – apple cider vinegar. Use this natural product as your toner both morning and evening (perfect to use after the acne busting honey face bath).
Using a cotton ball to apply simply smooth over your skin. Ensure you pay attention, and gently apply, to any active breakouts and areas prone to acne.
Apple cider vinegar benefits your skin for many reasons. The main being it is loaded with:
- acetic acid.
- enzymes that kill the bacteria on the skin.
Note: Many cases of chronic acne are due to bacteria and fungi. Even after cleaning they can continue to spread and grow on the skin. Not after apple cider vinegar toner!
3. Amazing Healing Masks – Best Home Remedies For Acne
These masks will hydrate and heal your skin. For maximum benefit apply a mask twice per week.
The active ingredients of cinnamon, yogurt and honey are known to hydrate skin and fight our common causes of acne.
Yogurt and Honey Mask
- 1 Tablespoon of Raw Honey
- 1 Tablespoon of Natural Yogurt
- Step 1 1. Mix raw honey with yogurt.
- Step 2 2. Apply to face, pay particular attention to hairline, jawline and other acne prone areas.
- Step 3 3. Relax for 10 minutes.
- Step 4 4. Gently wipe off with a warm damp cloth.
Cinnamon and Honey Mask
- 2 Tablespoons Raw Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- Step 1 1. Mix the raw honey, coconut oil and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Step 2 2. Smooth over face, keeping away from eyes, cinnamon can be an irritant.
- Step 3 3. Relax for 5–10 minutes.
- Step 4 4. Gently remove with warm damp cloth.
- Step 5 Note: Honey and cinnamon used together helps to fight acne because of its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
Top Tip: Add a couple of drops of tea tree oil to either of the masks. Tea tree oil is one of the most effective remedies for acne.
4. Natural Gentle Exfoliation
Did you know that clogged pores and dead skin are a major contributor to acne.
It is therefore extremely important that you exfoliate properly. The best home remedies for acne includes a wonderful natural recipe. This is much superior to commercially made face scrubs that are full of chemicals which further irritate you skin.
The following enables you to create multiple scrubs for maximum impact. All you need do is choose 1 dry ingredient and 1 base ingredient. Meaning you can mix it up and test which works best for you.
These dry / textured ingredients help to unblock pores and remove dead skin. The bases fight bacteria, fungi and Candida overgrowth.
Mix It Up = Best Home Remedies For Acne
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of the dry ingredient and 1–2 tablespoons of the base ingredient.
- Rub the mixture into your skin in a circular motion.
- Starting from the forehead and working down.
- Pay particular attention to problem areas.
- Remove with a damp warm cloth.
- Rinse well with warm water.
5. Tea Tree Spot Treatment
To clear acne quickly then you can’t beat Tea Tree, or as it is also known, Melalecua.
Tea Tree oil is used all over the world as an antiseptic and to treat wounds. It is also in the same category as coconut oil, honey and cultured milk products for its properties for fighting bacteria and fungi.
Tea Tree Treatment
- 4-8 drops Tea Tree Essential Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Coconut Oil or Jojoba Oil
- Step 1 1. Mix Tea Tree oil and Coconut oil or Jojoba oil.
- Step 2 2. Dap lightly onto problem areas.
- Step 3 3. Slight tingling is normal.
- Step 4 Note: Always use the carrier oil. Essential oils applied directly to the skin can be too harsh.
6. Fight Bacteria Herbally – Home Remedies For Acne
Sweet Basil and Holy Basil essential oils are proven to be effective in to fight acne types which are caused by bacterial infection.
It is reported that Sweet Basil oil is slightly more effective than Holy Basil oil in topical applications.
Of significance when looking for home remedies for acne is the maintenance of healthy blood sugar and hormone levels. Both of these, when out of balance, are linked with acne. Luckily there is a truly simple and effective answer.
Drink Herbal Tea – Easy and Effective Home Remedies For Acne Treatment
Holy basil oil herbal tea or Tulsi tea has positive impact on blood sugar and hormone levels. Simply consuming this herbal tea on a daily basis will balance hormones naturally, fight acne from the inside out and makes this one of the best home remedies for acne.
Both Holy Basil or Sweet Basil Essential Oils can be applied topically as a toner to acne-prone or problem areas.
They can both be added, or substitute Tea Tree Oil, to the masks, cleanser or exfoliating recipes already offered above.
7. Make Moisturizing Meaningful – Home Remedies For Acne
Acne-prone skin still needs moisturizing. When we use topicals for drying out the skin we must also ensure we add moisture. Just applying topicals sends a message to the healing properties of the skin. This self healing message is to produce moisture, the body adds moisture through producing more oil. This thereby increases the acne.
So – if you apply a topical also apply a moisturizer afterwards.
Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer. The lauric acid found in coconut oil fights the bacteria commonly associated with acne breakouts.
It is one of the most versatile and healthy oils on earth.
Coconut Oil Anti-Acne Moisturizer
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coconut Oil
- Step 1 1. Warm Coconut Oil in the palms of your hands.
- Step 2 2. Smooth the oil over your face and neck.
- Step 3 3. Relax for 5 minutes and allow the oil to soak into the skin.
- Step 4 4. Gently wipe off any excess oil with a soft dry cloth.
- Step 5 Note: Ensure you do wipe off after 5 minutes. After this time your skin has absorbed the amount it needs. Any excess left on the skin wont be of benefit and could cause a breakout.
8. Probiotic Supplements Help Beat Breakouts!
When planning your action against acne it is important to add a dual benefit approach. Severe acne breakouts require both an external treatment and an internal treatment.
Live probiotics do many things. They are known to support healthy digestion and immune system functioning, however they also improve our skin health which in turns helps in the fight against acne.
9. Cystic Sufferers? Go To Guggul!
Individuals diagnosed with and suffering from the cystic form of acne are recommended to include Guggul as part of their treatment plan.
A controlled clinical trial found that the usage of Guggul supplements (Guggulsterone is another term) outperformed the usual, and most often turned to product, 500 milligrams of tetracycline.
25 milligrams of guggulsterone, taken twice daily for three months, resulted in a significant reduction of Acne.
Perhaps more important was that 50 percent fewer participants had acne relapses than those who used traditional tetracycline.
Of great news to those battling with oily skin related acne is that the participants in the study, who had identified clearly as oily skin acne sufferers, responded remarkably better to Guggul than others in the study.
10. Eat Healthy, Be Healthy – Best Home Remedies For Acne
A major part of an acne treatment plan is to treat it from the inside out.
In terms of diet this means it is highly important that you eat foods which do not cause blood sugar spikes. These spikes lead to the production of insulin. Insulin can have a negative impact on acne.
Focus your diet on:
- leafy green vegetables,
- non processed forms of protein.
Increase consumption of:
- Non processed organic fish,
- Grass-fed organic meats,
- Free range chicken.
Good skin health is vital to treating acne. One element of good skin health is to ensure intake of healthy fats. This is easily done by including foods rich in omega-3 such as wild-caught salmon.
A recent BioMed Research International study indicated a clear correlation between low zinc levels and the severity of acne. Boost zinc to beat acne.
Add zinc-rich foods such as:
- Lamb, Pumpkin seeds,
Foods which must be avoided to maintain acne-free skin include:
- Hydrogenated oils,
- Conventional dairy products,
- Known allergens,
- common food allergens include gluten, soy, peanuts and shellfish.
I hope that you try some or all of our home remedies for acne.If you do I would love to hear of your results. What worked best? What would you recommend to others?