This is an easy, delicious and super nutritious recipe that will please even the fussiest of pizza aficionados! Our healthy butternut squash pizza with spinach and fontina is a winner. Savory, crunchy and filled with the good stuff!
NUTRITION (per serving) 471 cal, 18 g pro, 63 g carb, 13 g fiber, 20 g fat, 6 g sat fat, 759 mg sodium
Calcium – builds bone, alleviates PMS symptoms, lowers colon cancer risk.
You Need (daily): 1,000 mg
You Get (per serving): 257 mg
Fiber – aids digestion, regulates blood sugar, improves cholesterol numbers.
You Need (daily): 25 g
You Get (per serving): 13 g
Iron – maintains muscle, boosts energy, improves your mental outlook.
You Need (daily): 18 mg
You Get (per serving): 5 mg
Vitamin C – keeps skin smooth, fights inflammation, reduces stroke risk.
You Need (daily): 60 mg
You Get (per serving): 21 mg
PLUS: 2 servings of carotenoid-rich food (Carotenoids – help fight cancer, boost immunity, sharpen vision.)
(If you need a great whole wheat pizza dough the recipe is attached – at bottom of page)
Healthy Butternut Squash Pizza With Spinach And Fontina
- 1 butternut squash (small - 2lbs)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 lb fresh whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 2 Tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Step 2 Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Step 3 Cut butternut squash into half, length-way, and scoop out the seeds.
- Step 4 Place the squash, flesh side down, on prepared baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes.
- Step 5 Turn the squash halves flesh side up and roast until very tender – approx 25 minutes.
- Step 6 Once cooled scrape the squash flesh into a bowl and mash.
- Step 7 While the squash is baking – Fry the sliced onion in oil. Use a large fry pan over medium-low heat, stirring, until lightly browned – approx 20 minutes.
- Step 8 Transfer to bowl.
- Step 9 Increase the heat to medium and coat the fry pan with cooking spray.
- Step 10 Add spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted – approx 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 11 Once squash is cooked – If using a pizza stone place it on a rack in the center of your oven and increase heat to 550°F – a baking sheet can be used if not using a baking stone.
- Step 12 Using freshly prepared – or thawed earlier prepared dough – flour lightly and roll into a 12″ circle, ⅛ to ¼ inch thick, on a piece of parchment.
- Step 13 Spread about 1½ cups of the squash over dough. Top with onion and spinach.
- Step 14 Slide parchment and pizza onto a cool baking sheet and carefully slide the parchment directly onto pizza stone or heated baking sheet.
- Step 15 Bake until bottom is golden – approx 7 minutes.
- Step 16 Top with cheese and nuts and bake until cheese melts – approx 1 -2 minutes.
- Step 17 Cut into 8 slices.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
This is a great whole wheat dough and perfect to use with the healthy butternut squash pizza.
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 package quick-rising yeast, (2¼ teaspoons),
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¾ cup hot water (120-130°F)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Step 1 Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor
- Step 2 pulse to mix.
- Step 3 Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup.
- Step 4 With the food processor running slowly pour in the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water
- Step 5 if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour.
- Step 6 Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
- Step 7 Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down over the dough.
- Step 8 Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.
Butternut Squash Pizza
Please help spread the word about healthy, holistic and healing food recipes!Share this yummy butternut squash recipe with your friends and family! They will thank you for it!Click To Tweet