For centuries, people of all cultures and civilizations, have used alternative health natural remedies as a way to treat cold and flu symptoms. Herbal remedies have long been used to treat many common illnesses and ailments such as colds, upset stomachs and toothaches.
In modern times the search for natural methods continues.
In fact it is believed that in the US alone 6 out of 10 adults regularly use one, or more, forms of complementary or alternative remedies.
So when you feel the onset of colds and flu, the arrival of those tell tale sickly symptoms, there are alternatives to pharmaceuticals.
In this post we offer 5 Herbal Teas which are incredibly effective alternative health remedies. Each tea is an excellent elixir for treating seasonal illness such as flu and colds.
Before we look at each specific blend we first offer the general dry tea mix. This enables you to make the “base formula tea”. This can be stored in a dry, airtight container and be ready for use whenever required.
Directions For “Flu and Cold Dry Tea Mix”
The directions for making and storing each of our 5 teas is the same. You can brew and consume each tea through the same infusion method. Each tea, has slightly different ingredients. These ingredients target specific cold and flu symptoms and are listed separately below:
- Combine each of the various herbs and tea into a bowl.
- Mix well and place into a completely airtight container.
- To Brew Your Herbal Medicinal Tea Infusion
- In a heat proof glass container, or jar, pour 3 cups of freshly boiled water over 4 – 6 Tablespoons of your preferred herbal tea mixture.
- Cover the tea and allow to steep for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Once you have allowed the tea to steep simply strain away the used herbs and enjoy!
- To benefit from the teas properties and be even more effective set up a vapor steam bath. Just allow yourself to breathe in the steaming vapors from your medicinal tea as you are sipping it!
- You can also make larger batches and refrigerate the remaining tea infusion. You can heat it up in a saucepan, over a gentle heat, whenever you feel that you need more!
Cold And Flu Symptoms? Feel Great Again With 5 Alternative Health Natural Teas.
1. Immunity Booster Herbal Tea.
This herbal tea contains two of the very best and well known herbal immunity boosters. These are Elderberries and Rosehips.
Packed with Vitamin C, in fact 40 times more Vitamin C than tea made with lemons, this is the perfect remedy when symptoms start to make themselves known.
- 1/2 Cup Dried Elderberries;
- 1/2 Cup Dried Rosehip;
- 1/4 Cup Broken Cinnamon Stick;
- 4 Tablespoons Chopped Root Ginger.
2. Maxed Up Vitamin C Booster Tea.
This tea is a perfect Alternative Health Vitamin C Booster to treat cold and flu symptoms! The wonderful thing about this tea is that it is great at anytime of the year. Serve hot or chilled and over ice!
- 2 cups dried hibiscus;
- 2 cups dried rosehip;
- 1 cup lemongrass;
- 1 cup lemon peel;
- 1/2 cup black dried tea;
- 1/2 cup broken cinnamon sticks.
3. Headache Healer Herbal Tea.
This herbal tea mixture is fantastic for helping relieve cold and flu symptoms especially if you are suffering from headache.
This herbal tea mixture eases tension, calms feelings of nausea and helps to aid sleep.
- 2 cups basil leaf;
- 2 cups lemon balm;
- 1/2 cup chamomile;
- 1/2 cup dried lavender;
- 1/2 cup green tea.
4. Sore Throat Soother Herbal Tea.
Sore throats are commonly associated with the symptoms of flus and colds.
Once you have brewed this tea you will benefit by adding 1 Tablespoon of natural honey and the juice of half a lemon!
You will also benefit, believe it or not, by adding a dash of cayenne pepper. Cayenne helps to soothe your sore throat and opens up the sinuses.
- 2 cups sage leaf;
- 1 cup licorice root (or slippery elm);
- 1/2 cup black tea leaves;
- 1/2 cup broken cinnamon stick;
- 1/2 cup ginger root.
5. Cure That Cough Herbal Tea.
Mullein is a key ingredient for treating cold and flu symptoms. It has long been used for the treatment of coughs and respiratory problems.
Mullein’s prime benefits are it’s antispasmodic and expectorant properties.
Marshmallow is beneficial for it’s properties as a demulcent. This means that Marshmallow forms a soothing film over mucous membranes. This is excellent at relieving minor pain and inflammation of the mucous membrane.
- 1 cup chamomile;
- 1 cup marshmallow leaf and flower;
- 1 cup mullein leaf;
- 1 cup green, or black, tea.
I hope you have enjoyed this post and that you will trey one, or more, of these alternative health teas for when you feel the onset of cold and flu symptoms.
Do you know other recipes? Have you tried these? How were the results? Please leave a comment below, or contact us directly here.