In this post we look at a delicious and nutritious Turkey White Bean Soup. It is Number 2 of our Festive Recipes and I hope you try it, it is one of the very best Christmas Soups ever!
It is derived from the much loved chicken noodle soups. In this recipe we replace the noodles with cannellini beans. Much healthier and, in my opinion, much tastier!
This is a brilliant recipe for your festive Christmas Day feast or a perfect way to use up leftovers on Boxing Day or later in the week! It is equally as good made with chicken, goose or other poultry.
Christmas Soups – Turkey White Bean Soup.
This delicious soup is perfect for your Christmas festivities.
Wonderful served as the soup course for a full Christmas Day banquet, or equally it can be prepared as a great light lunch for Boxing Day as a way to use up leftover holiday turkey.
This recipe is a healthy take on traditional chicken noodle soup, the egg noodles are replaced with white beans and an assortment of fresh vegetables to create a hearty and truly delicious soup.
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil;
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced;
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced;
- 1 large leek, diced;
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced;
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced;
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste;
- 2 bay leaves;
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley;
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano;
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper;
- 4 cups organic chicken stock;
- 3 inch chunk Parmesan cheese;
- 2 cups water;
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini beans, (rinsed and drained);
- 2 cups cooked turkey, shredded;
- 2 cups. baby spinach, coarsely chopped;
- Chopped Parsley;
- Parmesan Cheese (Shaved)
1. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large soup pot using a medium heat. Add the garlic, onion, leeks, carrots, and jalapeno pepper.
2. Cook over a gentle heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and have developed some color. This will take approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste.
3. Add the bay leaves, the dried herbs, and the cayenne pepper and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until you notice that the herbs have become fragrant.
4. Add chicken stock, parmesan, water, and cannellini beans to the pot.
5. Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a rolling boil. Once it has begun to boil, reduce heat back to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Add the shredded turkey and spinach to the pot and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. You want the spinach to have wilted, but has not lost its color,. Make sure the turkey is heated through.
7. Remove from the heat and discard the bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
8. Serve immediately with some shaved Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Options For Protein Base
You may use any poultry for this dish. If you do not wish to use Turkey you can replace with Chicken or Goose.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 396mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 11gSugar: 5gProtein: 32g
Looking for a great festive drink? Try Our wonderful Cinnamon and Cumin Infused Cranberry Spritzer.