In this article we look at the human aura and provide an overview of the differing colors that can be found within the aura. We also examine what each of these colors mean when viewed.
Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
So What Is The Auric Field?
All living things, vegetation, animal, human etc, are surrounded by an Aura. This Aura is an electromagnetic energy field and is produced by all living things.
The Human Aura is often portrayed as a singular energy field. However it is actually made of several layers. Within these layers we find different colored bands, or blocks, of energy (including light and sound vibrations).
When viewed the aura resembles the shape of an egg and encompasses the entire body.
This is commonly referred to as the psychic energy field. It is in essence the disposable energy that is produced by our Chakras and Nadis and used by the physical body to function.
Each of the colors that present within the human aura reflect various aspects of that person’s current state of health and life including:
- Current mood, mental state, emotional and/or physical health
- The energetic balance of their chakras – any blockages, imbalance or aspects requiring attention.
- Personality and spirituality
So let’s start at the beginning. In this post we will move step by step through the different layers and elements of the aura, to build a thorough picture!
The Aura Base And Colors.
The most common misconception is that our Aura is one color. Or that it is one fixed coloration throughout our life.
While this isn’t correct, it is an understandable assumption.
It stems from the fact that our Auras Base color is closely associated with our overall chakra system.
If we are a person who is stable, solid and rooted firmly and sensibly on the ground we may exude a greater degree of Red tones. If we are a communicator and are experts at expressing our point of view or speaking confidently and clearly then we may see blue being the predominant shade.
Many people will have a predominant color that is associated with the dominant chakra energy that they are using at the time.
The “at the time” is important. If you view someone’s aura when they are meditating they will give off purple tones. This doesn’t mean their aura is always purple. Just that it is the energy they are drawing upon currently.
Because chakra energy is dense, it is more easily seen.
Likewise when in heated argument we may exude reds and browns. Similarly it doesn’t mean we are always those colorations.
Our Aura is constantly changing, because so too are we. As we grow and develop so to do our aura colors.
To view the totality of the aura we need to develop the skills to view beyond the base chakra energy. Once we see each individual auric layer and recognise patterns and tones of color we are able to gain incredibly insightful information. Very detailed and specific information.
The following list gives the predominant shade for each of our main Chakras. This is Step 1 – To recognise the base shade of a person’s aura and determine which energy they are actively using.
What Colors Are Linked To The 7 Chakras?
- Muladhara The Root/Base Chakra – Red,
- Svadhisthana the Sacral Chakra – Orange,
- Manipura the Solar Plexus – Yellow,
- Anahata the Heart Chakra – Green,
- Vishuddha the Throat Chakra – Blue,
- Ajna the Third Eye – Indigo,
- Sahasrara the Crown Chakra – Violet.
Want to learn more? Our post “What are Chakras?” gives further information about the chakra system, as well as the Nadis and Subtle Body that together make up our human aura and energy fields.
What Colors Can Be Seen In The Aura?
When we begin studying the aura, and viewing the auric field, it is important to understand that not all 7 chakra colors will always be reflected in the layers of the Aura.
The colors that are observable in the aura relate specifically to the person and their current state.
As you spend time viewing the aura, you will eventually be able to see the energies being emitted by our chakras. This is useful as it allows you to form an opinion of a person’s health and well-being (or balance).
If colors are weak, or the energy centers are small and lack vibrancy then this may indicate blockages or restriction.
If colors are vibrant and bright, chakras all similar sizes and you sense the pulsations of energy flowing then this displays balance.
If one or more colors are dominant, colors much deeper and richer than others, then this may indicate a person with overactivity in those centers.
Viewing the base color, and then each chakra energy allows you to form a view on overall health and well-being. You will be able to form a picture of energy blocks and any overactivity and what this might mean.
These patterns, combinations and colors will be different for each person. They are as unique as a fingerprint.
If someone has very weak red energy and huge amounts of yellow it may indicate they are feeling lost, at risk. They may feel that they are unable to connect with others and this is causing distress.
Colors and meanings can be found in this guide to the chakras.
The Aura Is Fluid And Can Change.
Remember the colors and patterns seen in our Aura are not fixed. They represent the person at the time of viewing, so will also be directly influenced by mood, health and general energy levels.
Each person tends to have a constant degree of base coloration throughout life.
The base coloration is reflected throughout our aura and is the bodies main source of energy – this gives us our dominant personality type and characteristics.
Examples of Base Coloration
- Nurses, Doctors, Healers will always reflect greens and turquoise
- Analytical thinkers reflect as a yellow orange
- Teachers will often have blue auras
- Adventurers display red
It is the Aura’s Subtle colors that will change. The subtle colors are those we see within the base often as dots, smudges, swirls, bands etc. These subtle colors reflect the energy spikes or imbalance within the person at that moment in time and relate to emotion, health, hopes and fears.
As well as the various colors that can be seen we also need to take into account the amount of color in the aura, whether the color is intense or dull and if it is deeper or lighter in tone.
There can also be metallic colors within the aura, such as silver and gold as well as black, white and grey.
Aura Colors Their Meanings For Health And Well Being.
The aura and the colors seen hold a multitude of information about our past, our present and our possible or predicted future.
As well as providing an overview of a person’s current health we can also see any chakra blocks or imbalance. We can detect past trauma requiring clearing and areas of work for spiritual growth.
We can sense current levels of enlightenment and development needs.
An aura is a huge volume of information to those who are sensitive to them and able to view each layer. It must be pointed out that everyone has the ability to learn to view the aura!
Many psychics, clairvoyants, clairaudients, spiritual healers and empaths (read more about what is an empath) are naturally sensitive to the vibrations of each specific aura layer and can visually see and intuitively sense the colors.
Everyone has the ability to view the aura. Overtime and with practice the techniques to be able to view the general aura can be applied specifically to the individual layers and allows us to understand and analyze health and well-being.
Proof Of The Aura.
It is widely accepted by most that the body emits energy (aura) and scientific technology now allows us to capture this on film.
Kirlian and some other specialized camera equipment can be used to photograph and view the aura. The image to the right is that of a male fingerprint.
The Chakras And Layers Of Subtle Bodies.
Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
In this section we look at the general meaning of each base color and then some specific shades and specific meanings of that base shade.
RED – Aura Color Meanings Explained.
Red, closely associated with Muladhara or the Root/Base Chakra, is linked physically to circulation, our heart and the total of our physical body.
As a highly dense color, it attracts and/or repels. Each color has both positive and negative features, yin and yang, therefore it is the shade and density which requires analysis along with the health of the associated chakra.
In a positive light, red energy is indicative of a healthy ego. In a negative light, red energy can give way to feelings or physical outbursts of anger and being unforgiving. It can also indicate anxiety or feeling nervous.
SHADES OF RED and RED-PINK
- Deep Red – shows strong will, being grounded, a sense of survival and being realistic.
- Muddy Red– Shows anger. The location of this color indicates the nature of the anger.
- Clear Red – This color shows a person who is powerful, often very sensual and passionate. Clear Red indicates being energetic and highly competitive. This density of the clear red indicates the positive or negative nature of each trait.
- Orange Red – shows a person with confidence.
- Bright Pink – indicates a sensual and artistic person and is linked with affection, love, sensitivity and compassion. Bright vivid pink can also indicate clairaudience.
- Dark Muddy Pink – displays dishonesty and/or emotional immaturity.
ORANGE – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Orange, associated with Svadhisthana or the Sacral Chakra, is linked with our reproductive organs and emotional feelings.
Overall orange is a color of good health, vitality and excitement.
In a positive light, orange energy is highly productive and indicates a creative, sociable and courageous person. In a negative light orange can lead to us developing or having developed high levels of stress, anxiety and addiction.
SHADES OF ORANGE
- Orangy Yellow – shows intelligence and a detail oriented person who is scientific, creative, and often a perfectionist.
- Browny Orange – indicates a person with low level of ambition, maybe lazy and often indicates repressed emotions which need to be released and cleared.
YELLOW – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Yellow, associated with Manipura Chakra, is the color linked physically with our spleen and spiritually linked to our entire life and spiritual energy.
Spiritually it is the color linked to “awakenings” and displays a person of optimism with easy-going (not to be confused with easily led or easily dominated) nature.
It is also the color of inspiration and intelligence.
SHADES OF YELLOW
- Pale Yellow – this color is linked with psychic and spiritual awareness. It also signifies optimism, hopefulness and positivity.
- Bright Yellow – indicates a fear of losing control, fear of losing or lacking respect. Bright yellow indicates inner power struggles which may physically manifest in one’s life. It indicates a need (can be positive or negative) for control personally and in business.
- Clear Metallic Gold – The color that signifies a spirituality activated person or one going through an inspirational spiritual or emotional awakening.
- Dark Muddy Yellow Gold – indicates fatigue and stress usually linked to learning, studying or trying to gain too much knowledge at the same time.
GREEN – Aura Color Meanings Explained.
Green obviously links with Anahata or the Heart Chakra, and pertains to our heart and lungs.
Green is a comfortable loving color and as it is the color of nature indicates levels of health and well being
In a positive light Green represents our natural or current balance, our growth, ability to accept change and closely aligns with a love of people, animals and the natural world. In a negative light Green can be associated with envy, jealousy (green eyed monster) and insecurity.
SHADES OF GREEN
- Emerald Green – indicates a natural healer and deeply compassionate and loving person.
- Yellow Green – is linked with communication. Communication tends to be open and heartfelt. Yellow Green indicates a highly creative individual.
- Muddy Forest Green – this color indicates a person struggling with jealousy. They may tend to be or play the victim. They can be insecure and tend to blame others.
- Deep Browny Green – deeper than forest shows a person highly sensitive to criticism and who lacks the ability to accept personal responsibility for issues in life.
TURQUOISE – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Turquoise is associated with both Manipura and Vishuddha (the heart and throat chakras) and is physically linked to our immune system.
To have Turquoise within the aura speaks of a highly sensitive and compassionate person and is often related to being or becoming a healer or a therapist.
BLUE – Aura Color Meanings Explained.
Blue, associated with the Vishuddha or Throat Chakra, relates physically to our throat and the thyroid.
Blue is the color associated with being “cool, calm and collected”. It indicates caring and the development of a caring and loving nature.
It is closely associated with spiritual sensitivity and intuitive energies.
In a positive light Blue associates with peacefulness, clarity and developed intuition. In a negative light Blue can indicate fear, dishonesty and difficulty in communication.
SHADES OF BLUE
- Light Blue – indicates peacefulness and clarity. This person is intuitive and truthful.
- Royal Blue – Highly spiritual and often indicates the ability of clairvoyance. This person will be very generous and always open to new opportunities.
- Muddy Blue – indicates a fear of expression, fear of the future and fear of speaking the truth.
INDIGO – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Indigo, associated with Ajna or the Third Eye Chakra links physically with our pituitary gland.
In the spiritual Indigo is associated with intuition, spiritual awakenings of deep feeling and the development of psychic sensitivity.
Indigo represents a person who sees on a spiritual level as well as physical.
Indigo Auras are brave and fearless, both in the face of threats and just general challenges.
Those with Indigo Auras are distinctly passionate and focused on the person inside rather than outward appearances.
VIOLET – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Violet, associated with Sahasrara or the crown chakra, is physically linked to the pineal gland and our nervous system.
Violet is the most delicate and represents the most sensitive of coloration in the auric field.
A person with violet in their aura is highly intuitive, and can be visionary both in the physical world they live and spiritually.
Violet reveals developing or developed psychic ability. These people are often referred to by others as magical, deeply intuitive and highly artistic.
People with a violet aura are often described as dynamic, charming, confident, and can be known as futuristic.
They are in sync with their emotions and those of others. This makes them empathetic to the feelings of those around them.
The Violet aura personality has natural leadership and intelligence however if imbalanced this can be outwardly seen as arrogance, or worse, narcissism.
LAVENDER – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Lavender is associated with Ajna and Sahasrara chakras (the third eye and crown) and so is a deeply spiritual and always positive in nature.
It pertains to vision, spiritual connections and creative imagination.
The only aspect a person with lavender in their aura needs to be aware of is staying connected to the physical even when things are boring – lavender folk are life’s daydreamers.
SILVER – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Silver is a spiritual color which highlights abundance. The silver in an auric field will show in the bodily area related to the abundance.
SHADES OF SILVER
- A patch of very bright intense silver indicates one of 2 things – abundance of money coming or already in possession or a significant spiritual event (usually a deeper awakening). You can read here an article about what a spiritual awakening is for.
- Metallic TRANSLUCENT Silver – indicates a person who is nurturing. They are also highly intuitive and the people who come up with new ideas.
- Muddy Grey – patches of muddy grey indicates a build-up of unreleased fear in the body. This can lead to blocks in the chakras and imbalance of bodily energy. This color can indicate or lead to health problems associated with the physical bodily area where the muddy grey is located.
- Dirty Grey seen as a film or thin transparent overlay — this shows there is a blockage and imbalance of blocking of energy. If all chakras are balanced then this indicates a sceptic nature and mistrust. It is important to engage in meditation or spiritual development to clear blacks in the energy field. You can find an easy chakra meditation here which will ensure balance of energies and remove these grey fields.
GOLD – Aura Color Meaning Explained.
Gold is a magnificent color to find within the aura. It indicates a person who has “divine protection” and who is enlightened or on the way to enlightenment.
The person with gold in the aura is encased in divine and universal guidance.
This person is full of life and universal wisdom. They have inner peace with highly developed intuition and spirituality and are teachers, leaders and guides for others.
BLACK – Color Meaning Explained.
Black is probably easy to guess the meaning and is often used in folklore and literature for associations with negativity and being on the wrong path.
While not always of a negative nature black is associated in history with negative events for good reason. Black is the color that contains all color – it is dense and is associated with capture and transformation.
Black usually indicates a person with an unforgiving nature.
These people need to clear the black from the aura before serious health related problems ensue.
Black is often associated to past life problems, unreleased negativity and anger and usually shows a great deal of stored emotional grief.
It is important to remember that black can be released and can be transformed.
WHITE – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
White also has significance and a base in folklore and literature. White contains all color and because of this it also reflects all color. Therefore it in essence reflects all color energy to wherever it is best used and needed for our physical, emotional and spiritual well-being.
White is the universal color of protection.
Seeing dense patches of white or a white outer layer of the aura signifies a person who knows and speaks only the truth.
It indicates a person of great health and purity and an individual with “angelic” qualities.
If you see flashes of bright white or sparkling dots and white sparks this means angels are with you and communicating.
Note: If there is ever a Dirty Grey White seen this color can be indicative of possible or potential illness. This color needs to be cleared from the aura.
Other EARTH TONES – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
Any other color seen, that are reminiscent of the colors found in the natural world and also look similar to the image and shape of the natural substance i.e. soil, wood, minerals and various plants are signs that the person is attached to the earth and grounded physically.
Often these colors and shapes are seen in those who work or live on the land and nature.
The only earthly shade that requires attention and clearing is a dense patch of solid brown. This would indicate a person who tends to be greedy and who is often close minded and self-absorbed.
If the brown is not solid and dense but appears to be a translucent film or overlay (you can see the other colors and fields below it) this indicates a person who is holding onto insecurity and stored negative energies. This needs to be cleared using chakra meditation techniques before ill-health develops.
RAINBOWS – Aura Colors Their Meanings Explained.
In some people you may see actual Rainbows (usually as a straight line rather than the arch typically thought of) which emanate from the hand or head (however can emanate from any part of the body).
These rainbows indicate a highly developed and gifted spiritual energy healer.
Want To Learn Clairvoyant Aura Reading?
Take our online course! Learn how to read auras and interpret what you see. Full instruction, over 50 hours of video tutorials and more!
Learn Clairvoyant Aura Reading (See & Understand The Aura)
$11.00 in stock
Step by Step Guide to view the Aura, its layers, colours, symbols
Educator & Holistic Practitioner
What Will I Learn?
- Apply techniques which enable me to see my own, and others, auras
- See and distinguish the 7 layers of the aura
- See and interpret the colors and shapes within the aura and interpet their meaning
- Be able to interpret auras through clairvoyance and clairsentience during a reading
- Incorporate clairvoyant auric reading into holistic practice
- You will need some blank drawing paper, coloured pencils/chalk and a space where you will be undisturbed.
- anyone with an interest in energy healing and metaphysics. This course is specifically designed for newcomers who have no experience in aura reading but is open to experienced practitioners wishing to further their modality techniques.
I hope you have enjoyed this post and now have gained better understanding of the colors in the aura.
If you would like to ask questions or make comment please do so using the comment thread below. Or alternatively contact me directly by clicking here.
Love and Light